June 20, 2018
The Bad News. . . .
Based on my sources, Senator Brownsberger and Senator Creem have successfully killed and buried any chance for a Legislative Correction to the gross mis-interpretation of the Alimony Reform Act of 2011.
These two high ranking legislators believe that a payor of alimony need not have the right to retire.
They believe that a receiver of alimony should be able to live in a marriage like situation with another and still receive alimony.
They believe that the same Judicial Discretion that caused the need for Alimony Reform is the answer.
They care more about a receiving spouse who feels entitled than a paying spouse having the right to retire.
Both continue to be re-elected waving the flag of entitlement.
Unfortunately, The Angels who supported our efforts have moved on.
In short, the Mass. Legislature has no issue in re-visiting Alimony Reform at the present time._______________
The GOOD NEWS
We are all alive. As long as we are alive, we have the ability to fix this.
WE NEED NEW ANGELS
An Angel is a Legislator who recognizes the need to restore the Alimony Reform Act to it's original Intent.
An Angel is a Legislator who is willing to Work Hard to restore the Alimony Reform Act to it's original Intent.
Your Job is to find us Angels!
We go back to the basics.
1. Find out who your Senator and State Rep. is.
2. It is Summer and all of them are having fund raiser events.
3. Call their office and ask where and when their event is.
4. Go to the event and tell them your Horror Story.
5. Ask if they would be willing to Sponsor or Co-Sponsor H740 in the Next Legislative Session.
6. Send me their response so that I can track who is a Team Player, Play Maker, or in Opposition.
REMEMBER. . . . .
- The issues have been researched by a Alimony Reform Task Force appointed by the chairs of the Joint Committee on the Judiciary.
- The problems brought to light by your "Horror Stories"with the pre-ARA of 2011 law were fixed by the ARA of 2011.
- The SJC got it WRONG. H 740 Fixes that wrong.
- H 740 was DRAFTED by the Members of the Alimony Reform Task Force which includes Representatives from the Mass Barr, the Boston Bar, the Womens Bar, The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, The Chief Justice and Myself.
- According to a highly regarded D.C.
- Constitutional Attorney, H 740 WAS CONSTITUTIONAL.
If you let up you lose, and we are not losing because we will NEVER let up!
A NEGOTIATED SETTLEMENT is YOUR BEST OPTION
I have helped many people from MANY STATES negotiate a Fair and Final Settlement without expensive legal fees and litigation.
Let me Help YOU!
Feel free to call or e-mail me if you have any questions or comments.
Stephen K. Hitner,
President, Mass Alimony Reform
Divorce Coach, Consultant, and Mediator
Member, 2011 Alimony Reform Task Force